Eye Makeup Do's and Don'ts...

Ok, I will disclose something about myself and my previous career that I have not mentioned... before becoming a wedding planner I was a NYC Professional Makeup Artist for over 25 years.  I know, I know how lucky can a girl get, two fun and exciting careers in one lifetime, I must say it was... I traveled, met supermodels, celebrities (Ok I'll name-drop just once, Trudy Styler, Sting's wife I had the pleasure of going to their outrageous apartment in 1986 or so and doing her makeup for Pre-Grammy parties. Sting was not there but I swear I could smell him:) and I was also lucky to attend numerous NYC Fashion shows throughout the years.  But after 25 years, marriage and a baby girl I was ready to slow down and start researching another career that had always attracted me, Wedding Planning.  

As you can imagine, as a makeup artist I was also surrounded by brides for many of those years and I always found myself admiring the Wedding Planners. They were just so cool, calm and collected.  They brought such peace over the brides and managed to make the wedding day seem effortless.  And in the end... they would have the brides in tears thanking them for all their hard work and dedication... no one ever thanked the make-up artist in their wedding toast, although they should :) But seriously, I did admire them and when I was ready to make the change I went full force and never looked back.  I must say it's been a great ride and now I feel the same joy and excitement I felt when I started out (so young and bright eyed) as a pro-makeup artist. Yes, I am a very lucky lady to have been able to fulfill two career dreams in one lifetime! 

Now onto the real reason I disclosed my secret... take my advise brides I have seen the good the bad and the ugly when it comes to makeup and you sure don't want to be in the latter of the three on one of the most important days of your life! 

You will be photographed on your wedding day more than any other day of your life. Make sure you look picture perfect with the right eye makeup. Make numerous appointments with makeup artists. The companies I would recommend are M.A.C. (I was on their first team of makeup artist back in 1984) I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE M.A.C.! My makeup case is still overpowered by them.  Next, Bobbi Brown (love her natural palettes so easy to work with) and last but certainly not least Trish McEvoy (her brushes are the absolute best nothing like them. Spend the money on them I have had mine for over 13 years and they are like new). Also, don't feel pressured to buy everything, as a courtesy buy a lipgloss we can never have to many of those. And live with what they did for the day.  If by the end of the day you still love it, it did not cake up and you feel like yourself only prettier, go back and pickup the essentials or ask that artist if they do free-lance work and would they be available for your wedding day. 

To sum things up, research your wedding day makeup as much as you research everything else.  It is a very important part of your day and read my eye makeup do's and don'ts list below to ensure that your bridal makeup will end up looking flawless.

DO
  • Think seriously about hiring a makeup artist; everyday makeup is different from your wedding day needs.
  • Take time to try a few different makeup artists and choose one who understands your personal tastes.
  • Use eye drops if your eyes look red or tired on the day of (but stick with a brand you've used before to avoid unwelcome surprises).
  • Get as much sleep as possible the night before the big day.
  • Apply a light concealer to banish dark circles under your eyes.
  • Use matte eye shadows (they won't reflect light or look too shiny).
  • Use an off-white matte shadow along your brow bone if you have light skin, or peach if you have dark skin, to illuminate your eyes even more.
  • Blend well, especially at the corners of your eyes, since cameras pick up visible makeup lines.
  • Define your brows with a pencil or powder that matches your hair color.
  • Wear at least two layers of waterproof mascara.
  • Use an eyelash curler before and after applying your first coat of mascara.
  • Prevent makeup meltdowns by using a smudge-proof or waterproof mascara. (If you really don't like its look or feel, use one coat of regular mascara overlaid with a light coat of waterproof mascara.)
  • Buy a new mascara for your wedding day, but test it a few days before the wedding if it's a new brand.
DON'T
  • Wear too much eye makeup: You'll look like a drag queen.
  • Change your eye color with colored lenses (unless you always wear them).
  • Try to be too trendy (that glitzy silver shadow may look silly ten years from now).
  • Use an under-eye concealer that's too light for your skin tone (you'll look like a raccoon).
  • Experiment with eye products you haven't tried before.
  • Wear dark shadows like charcoal or dark brown (you'll look like you've been punched).
  • Wear frosted, shiny, sparkly shadow (It creases easily and will reflect camera flashes).
  • Forget about your eyebrows.
  • Tweeze your brows at the last minute on your wedding morning.
  • Wear false eyelashes if they're not 100% comfortable and you're not 200% confident they won't fall off.
  • Two final tips: DO have a fabulous wedding. DON'T forget how gorgeous you are.
Good makeup advise from
Your wedding planner,
Lisa

Digg this

No comments: